[macvoiceover] Re: Vo-Home on a MacBook?

  • From: David Poehlman <david.poehlman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 19 Jul 2009 07:11:53 -0400

true and they are easier to do than to read.

On Jul 18, 2009, at 10:34 PM, Cheryl Homiak wrote:

Okay, I hope this will once and for all clear up the confusion about the home key comination. Home in and of itself on the laptop is not that whole string of keys: ctrl+option+fn+shift+left arrow.
Home is simply fn+left arrow.
Similarly:
end=fn+right arrow
page up = fn+up arrow
page down = fn+down arrow.
Where the complexity comes in is when you add on to home to make other combinations, for instance by adding vokeys or vokeys and shift. Home (fn+left arrow) when you add vokeys and home (fn+left arrow) when you add vokeys+shift sometimes give similar results but are slightly different. Without the shift, home+vokeys takes you to the first visible item; with the shift, you move to the actual first item. Sometimes these two are the same item and sometimes they are not. So in mail, when interacting with the messages table, home+vokeys +shift will definitely take you to the first message; without the shift you often will move up several rows but not necessarily to the top. If you are not interacting with the messages table, of course you get different results. Both home+vokeys and home+vokeys+shift will usually take you to the toolbar. I hope this clears up any confusion. Just remember that home by itself is simply fn+left arrow.

I've noticed in the last few of days that there have been at least two incidents where there was confusion either because somebody wrote or defined a key sequence incorrectly or because somebody misinterpreted the sequence. Sometimes these sequences can look really confusing so probably we all need to be extra careful to check what keys we have stated and how we have defined them (as I am going to do before I send thsi--*grin*!!! and also be very careful in interpreting them and attempting them to be sure we are really using the keys that have been described. It seems like once there's confusion about key combinations, it's really hard to straighten out the misunderstanding just because the sequences/combinations are much much harder to write than they are to actually press. I guess I'm glad they are easier to press--*smile*!!!