[macvoiceover] VOD a DAISY player for iPhone/iPod Touch

  • From: Greg Kearney <gkearney@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Iain Murray <i.murray@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Keith Reedy <keithreedy@xxxxxxxxx>, macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, macvisionaries@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Christopher Lee <leecm@xxxxxxx>, Kathy McWhorter <kmcwhort@xxxxxxxx>, David Vosnacos <davidv@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Chris Whitelock <chrisw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Mary Beth Janes <mjanes@xxxxxxxxx>, Technical Developments Discussion List <technical-developments@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, cypac@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 2 Jan 2010 19:15:54 +0800

I have been testing VOD a DAISY playback software for the iPhone/iPod Touch here is my report:

VOD will play only unencrypted DAISY 2.02 full audio and full text full audio books. It displays the text on the screen and highlights what is being read. It will also display images. It will not paly NLS or RFB&D books nor can it read text only DAISY books.

VOD will only play books through the earphones and not the built in speakers which is rather odd. It does not support speeding up the playback. You load books to the iPhone by means of FTP transfer which is rather clever. In effect your iPhone becomes an FTP server with a username and password you configure you then use an FTP client on your computer to load or remove books in directories to the phone. It works very well.

Accessibility could be complete with VoiceOver if the developer would label all the buttons on the interface which they have not, for some reason done. I have reported this to them.

The biggest issue is that this program always starts over at the beginning of the book each time you go to a book. This is a major issue which seriously impacts it usefulness to the reader and must be address before I can suggest this program to anyone. Again I have reported this issue to the developer and I would hope that they address this, and the lack of bookmarking as well which are related to each other.

All and all VOD is a good start to DAISY playback on the iPhone iPhone/ iPod Touch but not ready for real use until the play back position and book marking issues are addressed.

Gregory Kearney
Manager Accessible Media
Association for the Blind of Western Australia
61 Kitchener Ave
Victoria Park, WA 6100'
AUSTRALIA
+61 08 9311 8246