[macvoiceover] VO VERSUS JAWS

  • From: Larry Harper <sightlossink@xxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover <macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 14:54:28 -0700

HI SMART MAC OWNERS,

WHEN I USE VoiceOver AT VISION CONNECTION DOT ORG IT READS A LOT OF LINK TITLES BEFORE IT BEGINS READING THE CONTENT OF THE LINK I HAVE OPENED.

DOES ANYONE KNOW WHY THIS IS THE SITUATION FOR VO AT A MULTIMEDIA WEBSITE ?

DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW THIS IS DIFFERENT WITH JAWS ?

I WILL APPRECIATE ALL INPUT.

THANKS...........LARRY HARPER.

P.S.  FOR MORE DETAILS SEE COPIES OF PREVIOUS E-MAILS BELOW

Begin forwarded message:

Dear Mr. Harper,

Thank you for your interest in VisionConnection and for alerting us to
the issues you are experiencing. After talking to several of our
technology people, I will attempt to address them as best I can:

1) It sounds as though you are using a Mac. While the Mac's operating
system  has a built in screen reader, it is not up to par with JAWS,
which has become the defacto standard in the field, and the screen
reader for which VisionConnection is optimized. Using JAWS on a PC,
there are no repetitive links.

2) One of the first things that a screen reader reads when visiting a
VisionConnection page is:

"Welcome to VisionConnection. Jump directly to: Content, Site
Navigation, Search, Style Settings".  This line includes four links
which the user may use to skip navigation or other repetitive items on
VisionConnection pages.

A user who wishes to not cycle through multiple links can jump directly
to "Content".

I'm afraid you will need to talk to Apple about the problems you're
having with your screen reader.

Sincerely,

Rachel

Rachel Hager, Editorial Director VisionConnection & Lighthouse.org Lighthouse International 111 E59th St. New York, NY 10022 Office (212) 821-9348 Email rhager@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

-----Original Message----- From: Larry Harper [mailto:sightlossink@xxxxxxx] Sent: Monday, August 07, 2006 11:09 AM To: Sussman-Skalka, Carol Cc: Hager, Rachel Subject: YOUR PORTAL AND SCREEN READERS

HI CAROL,

IT WAS GOOD TO TALK WITH YOU LAST WEEK..

MY REQUEST IS CAN THE VISION CONNECTION WEBSITE ADD FURTHER
ACCESSIBILITY FOR SCREEN READER VISITORS ?

SPECIFICALLY, LOW VISION CONSUMERS ARE ACCOMMODATED BY FORMAT CHOICES
FOR TEXT COLOR AND SIZE, AS WELL AS TEXT-ONLY (NO GRAPHICS OR
IMAGES).  HOWEVER, WHEN A LINK IS OPENED A SCREEN READER HAS TO
NARRATE MANY REPEATED LINKS TO FIND THE NEW CONTENT.

IF POSSIBLE, BEING ABLE TO AVOID REPEATED LINKS (SEVERAL TO OVER 30)
WOULD BE VERY HELPFUL AND PARTICULARLY IF THIS CHOICE WAS IDENTIFIED
AT OR NEAR THE BEGINNING OF YOUR FRONT PAGE (LIKE THE LOW VISION
SELECTIONS).

CAROL, I GREATLY APPRECIATE YOUR CONSIDERATION OF THIS SCREEN READER
SITE ACCESS FINE-TUNING.

THANKS AND CHEERS...........LARRY (HARPER).

P.S.  CAROL, I PHONED APPLE COMPUTER ABOUT VoiceOver AND THIS MATTER
- THEY SAID THIS IS A WEBSITE DESIGN ISSUE

Click on the link below to go to our homepage. http://www.icanworkthisthing.com

Users can subscribe to this list by sending email to macvoiceover-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx