[macvoiceover] Re: To all you programming/scripting gurus out there

  • From: Darcy Burnard <darcyburnard@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2008 15:20:49 -0400

Hi Ron. Thanks for confirming that automator variables do not work where VO is concerned. I never knew if they didn't, or if I just didn't know how to do it.

Darcy

On 10-Jul-08, at 8:39 PM, Ron J. wrote:

Hey Darcy,

Well, I don't know *anything* about UI scripting, and I suspected the VO Utility wasn't scriptable. Also, I do believe Automator has some serious bugs in it, some of which I've brought to Apple's attention - i.e. some stand-alone Automator workflows don't work properly - they generate strange AppleScript errors! Also, from someone I spoke to on the Automator-Users List, Automator seems to have troubles with variables. Back some time ago, I'd written a workflow to extract text from PDFs, send it to the TTS, convert it to AAC and add it to the iTunes library. The guy took the workflow, added some variables to it, then ran it. Things worked *perfectly* the first time, but never again after that!

I've not tried executing either my workflow, or the modified one, since the most recent changes to Automator, so don't know if Apple resolved any of the underlying issues.

        Also, of course, variables aren't VO-friendly in Automator yet.

BTW, if you ever wanna chat with me on Skype, my SkypeName is Ganahee.

Take care!

Ron

On Jul 10, 2008, at 6:33 PM, Darcy Burnard wrote:

I don't believe that the VO utility is scriptable. You might be able to use UI scripting either in automator or applescript to accomplish this. I played with this in automator once, but it was really slow, and didn't work half of the time. Things might be different in applescript however.
Darcy

On 10-Jul-08, at 6:56 PM, Ron J. wrote:

Krister,

Well, I'm *not* a programming, or scripting guru, by any means, although I did take some BASIC & UCSD Pascal, back in my college days, in the early 80s, at the University of South Dakota, so I'm vaguely familiar with programming concepts.

What I can tell you is, as far as I know, there aren't any Automator actions which deal with VO, or the VO Utility. As to said utility, I'm not sure it's even scriptable with AppleScript, but anyone who knows better than I, please correct me.

If, however, it is, one could devise a simple AppleScript which you'd add to a key command, using a program called Spark. In this way you could "tell" VO Utility to go to the "Web" category, and select either Dom or Group navigation. Each command could be assigned to a different key-combination, or it might even be possible to create a toggle key so you could rapidly switch between the two, on the fly, as you suggest.

Travis? Greg? Any other programmer/scripters on this list? Any ideas?

Ron

On Jul 10, 2008, at 5:35 AM, Krister Ekstrom wrote:

Hi, I have an idea but i don't know if it would be doable, and because i'm a total idiot when it comes to programming in any shape or form i can't test it myself. I'm pondering the possibility of on-the-fly switching between group- and dom navigation in Safari, just by pressing a hot key? I know it isn't implemented in VO at this time, and until such time that there will be such a feature, could this be done via AppleScript or Automator?
What do y'all think?
--
/Krister

Ron J. | AKA Ganahee

Messenger Services:

        AIM: Ganahee
MSN: Ganahee@xxxxxxxxxxx
Skype: Ganahee
Twitter: Ganahee_SD
Yahoo!: Ganahee

Alternate Contact:

        E-Mail: Ganahee@xxxxxxxxx
        Phone: 605-759-0694

"For millions of years, mankind lived, just like the animals. Then something happened, which unleashed the power of our imagination - we learned to talk."

From the MD "The Division Bell", the track "Keep Talking".

Ron J. | AKA Ganahee

Messenger Services:

        AIM: Ganahee
MSN: Ganahee@xxxxxxxxxxx
Skype: Ganahee
Twitter: Ganahee_SD
Yahoo!: Ganahee

Alternate Contact:

        E-Mail: Ganahee@xxxxxxxxx
        Phone: 605-759-0694

"For millions of years, mankind lived, just like the animals. Then something happened, which unleashed the power of our imagination - we learned to talk."

From the MD "The Division Bell", the track "Keep Talking".