[macvoiceover] Re: Tip: Disable data detectors in Mac Mail

  • From: Bob Ray <rjray@xxxxx>
  • To: <macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2010 07:47:24 -0500

How do you get to the terminal window?

Bob

----- Original Message -----
From: "Kristyn Leigh" <kristyn0@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, October 13, 2010 4:12 PM
Subject: [macvoiceover] Tip: Disable data detectors in Mac Mail

http://www.tipstrs.com/tip/6166/Disable-data-detectors-in-Mac-Mail

Disable data detectors in Mac Mail

In Leopard, the Mac Mail application has data detectors that detect certain
types of data like dates, times, and addresses and turns them into clickable
pieces of information so that you can add them into iCal, the Address Book,
or other applications. If you use these, great. If not, the data detectors
are just a little annoying.

If you are not using them, you can turn them off. Just open a terminal
window and enter the following command:

defaults write com.apple.mail DisableDataDetectors YES

Once this command is entered, quit Mail and restart it. The data detectors
will now be gone. I fyou change your mind and want them back, repeat the
command but replace the YES with NO.