[macvoiceover] Re: The Voiceover training on this list is free of charge!

  • From: David Chittenden <dchittenden@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2012 16:32:02 +1200

Hello Jenifer,

I purchased my MacBook Air from the Apple Store online last year and received
it at the beginning of October. Like many, I transitioned from Windows. I was
quite nervous about initially turning it on because I did not have a set of
eyes available. However, I was too impatient, and told myself I could just
close the lid and knock my MBA in to standby if I got stuck. Oh, and my MBA was
running Lion.

When I turned on my MBA, after I waited for a short time, a pre-recorded voice
came on and asked if I was blind and needed to use voice (or something like
that). I pressed the command I was given and VO came up. I was then asked if I
wanted to go through the very basic initial VO training. I did, and that task
was accomplished. After all that, I was talked through setting up my MBA. I
never needed to find a set of eyes. Later, when I had someone check. the
picture of me that my MBA took to associate with my username was reported as
being decent.

So, the answer to your question is, No, you do not need sighted assistance at
any time during set-up. Apple has made things truly accessible, even from the
initial computer set-up phase.

David Chittenden, MSc, MRCAA
Email: dchittenden@xxxxxxxxx
Mobile: +64 21 2288 288