[macvoiceover] Re: Terminal

  • From: Travis Siegel <tsiegel@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2008 15:31:26 -0600

Actually, if you go into terminal preferences, you can remap most of the keyboard keys. I've not actually tried remapping the arrow keys, but I have assigned strings to the function keys, so I don't have to type things like cd /volumes/leopard1/users/shared/webscriptions, I can just hit f1, and it types it for me. I'm sure remapping arrow keys would work too. However, the up/down arrow keys are usually used for command-line editing.

I.E. you type ls -l *.mp3
Then you realize you're not in the music folder, but in the documents folder.
Well, no problem.
just type
cd ~/music
then press up arrow twice, and poof, ls *.mp3 is there, and all you need do is press enter, and the command is repeated. While editing command lines, right/left arrows work as well, for instance, (and this is something I do regularly) you're editing several files to remove headers/footers because they're uuencoded, or perhaps they are messages you've saved, and you want to add a last edited timestamp to your source code or something.
pico file01
then, after I'm done with that file, instead of typing pico file02, I just hit up arrow, backspace once, type a 2, then press enter. You can also assign keystrokes to your function keys, and give them different configururation names. Thus, when you're working on programming, you can have f1 call gcc, f2 call fpc, f3 call perl, and so on. But, when you are working with file systems, you can have a different configuration open up where perhaps f1 prints cd /volumes/leopard1/ users/shared, and f2 types cd /private/etc/httpd/htdocs
and so on.
These are of course, only examples, your paths/commands may vary.
I'm only mentioning them here, because I feel the terminal on osx gets the short shrift, simply because folks aren't aware of it's capabilities. The default terminal app that ships with osx is a whole lot more powerful than a plain bash shell, it has the ability to do a whole lot more, and if you dig a bit, you'll discover all kinds of things you can do with terminal you may not have realized were possible outside finder.

On Dec 12, 2008, at 3:04 PM, Sara wrote:

About VO, is there a way to remap the arrow keys in Terminal to read up and down by line instead of just putting weird control characters into my terminal? I need to have arrow key navigation but keep the keyboard open for typing so VO ; is a bit cumbersome.