[macvoiceover] Re: Tables and word processing

  • From: Jude DaShiell <jdashiel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2011 04:23:02 -0500 (EST)

You have an internal solution, org-mode in emacs.  I make tables with it
regularly and org-mode is part of any up-to-date emacs version for
apple.  The nice part about making tables for org-mode which do export
to html is that it can be done with any text editor.  In org-mode once
you have the necessary settings in your .emacs file, a file containing a
table has a (|) character as the first character on the first line.  You
follow that with a space and then your first column heading.  That's
followed by a space another (|) and another space and your next column
heading.  The last column after the heading you end with space and (|).
The next line only has (|-) on it and org-mode knows to put a line under
all of your column headings.  To start the table so you can populate it,
get on the end of line 1 with c-e and hit tab once and you're in your
first column on line 3.  You populate from there and hit tab to move to
the next column and when you run out of columns, a tab key puts you in
the next row in your first column.  While you're doing all of this,
org-mode is doing two other things for  you.  First it fills in the (|)
characters in the right spaces.  Second, it expands column widths to
accommodate what you populate those columns with and I think with
another command can be told to remove unnecessary space.
That's probably one of the reasons why Apple doesn't necessarily view
this issue as high priority.  The website that supports org-mode is
http://www.org-mode.org/ and it does lots more than tables too.

Jude <jdashiel-at-shellworld-dot-net>