[macvoiceover] Stepping forward: step,step,step,step,step!!!

  • From: "John W. Hess" <johnythehess@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2006 07:47:09 -0400

Good morning Keith and MRS Mac!
Nice thoughts and I did some thinking as well last night. You may have done part of this because I haven't visited your site lately but what about creating an area with a link stating if you would like to learn how to use a Mac with Voiceover click here. in this area would be all the links for the proper documentation as well as a link to being involved with a mentor. Also on the page would be a description of your experience switching from Mac to windows and what you are doing with it(a little inspiration). after a user would click on that link they would be brought to a small but concise form asking exactly what they expected to get out of the Mac and what they wanted to learn. The form would consist of drop down lists(notice in the Mac world we don't say combo box) that would allow a person to pick items they wanted to learn basic concepts, e-mail, word processing, OCR(read iris pro is probably the biggie here) surfing the net and things like that. This would first make the person think about what they want and provide extremely clear guidance for the Mentor. I know for my self having worked with clients for 12 years if a person isn't put on track lots of time can be wasted. I can assure you that you will moste likely find many enthusiastic people however, if things aren't structured enough you will loose them. Volunteers want to make a difference but not waste time. Even in my profession I have been doing this long enough where I can see the ones that are motivated and the ones that aren't in about 1 visit and figure out how to approach them and how much time to spend with them. If this is done right, I think you have the potential to first, recruit many bright Mac users, and second introduce lots of people to something that will change there world. If you really want to take this someware I would ask you to consider posting to the many lists that are out there for blind computer users directing them to this excellent resource. Keith, go for it. Trust me here, a little structure is going to go a long way in showing that this team of individuals is serious about what we are presenting. I have seen too much training that is just like well, you can hit these buttons and this should happen but if it doesn't don't worry, the up and down arrows might work however tab could be better but really! the power button should turn the machine on if it's not frozen! Hmm, maybe cutting the cord might do it? Okay, I need more coffee. Let me know your thoughts. I would love to see something like this take off and love to help. I think putting all the links or maybe even if you have the server space put the docs under a link where people can find them. no one wants to hunt and if this is made as easy and friendly as possible you are going to attract lots of people.
Oh and yes, gotta agree I bet there are lots who are quivering in there shoes due to the reception they have received on a list for asking a basic question. we need to fix that and having this type of thing just might.
JohnyTheHess&WillieTheWoof
----- Original Message ----- From: "Keith and Suzie Reedy" <smr@xxxxxxxxx>