[macvoiceover] Re: Some what OT,,, No firewire on the new MACs?

  • From: Cara Quinn <Cara-Quinn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2008 09:44:53 -0700

<smile> I agree! -Have no idea what they're thinking with these choices… Ya know, I hear that some of the peeps who worked on Vista for Microsoft recently moved over to Apple and became product designers… <smirk>

Cara  :)

On Oct 15, 2008, at 9:17 AM, Jacob Schmude wrote:

Hi Keith
Unfortunately you're reading the specs correctly. The odd thing is that the lowest end Macbook for $999 still retains its firewire port, but the two higher end ones do not. Add to that the middle model has a slower processor than the lower end, though faster ram. This is odd, too, as before the middle and high end models had 2.4 ghz processor and the lowest was at 2.1. Now they're 2.1, 2.0, and 2.4 respectively. Shrug. As for a workaround... other than being stuck with USB drives instead of firewire ones I can't see what it would be. You can't exactly have USB to firewire converters, at least not ones that will give you firewire performance over a USB bus, as that just isn't possible. I'm definitely rolling my eyes at some of these design choices and wondering if maybe the Apple product designers accidentally smoked something they shouldn't have or had something put in their drinks :). All in all, I'm more than happy to have the Macbook I do, got it about a month ago. I wouldn't trade for one of these new models honestly, at least for the Macbook line. interestingly, the Pros haven't had any of these odd choices in specs done to them. Note that though the firewire 400 port is gone from them the firewire 800 ports are backward compatible.

On Oct 15, 2008, at 08:45, Keith Reedy wrote:

Hi folks,

If I am reading the spects correctly on the new MacBooks, no firewire. I use firewire for a backupdrive and a few other things,

Anybody know what the workaround will be.

Thanks.

---
View my Online Portfolio at:
http://www.onemodelplace.com/CaraQuinn