[macvoiceover] Re: Snow leppard and safari and voice over.

  • From: Cheryl Homiak <cah4110@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Macvoiceover Email list <macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 22 Aug 2015 22:45:15 -0500

Okay, this is strange! Or it's something in Snow leopard or your settings are
somehow different from mine. I just sat here in Yosemite and did
ctrl-option-cmd-h both interacted with the page and not interacted. it works
fine here either way. I can't imagine why you would have to stop interacting
with the page to have the command work. In fact, from what I can tell, when you
do the command not interacted with the web page, it interacts you again as it
goes to the header. I am glad you got it working, but unless this is specific
to Snow Leopard or it is a difference between your settings and mine, which is
possible, I don't understand why this would have caused your problem. I could
perhaps see it if your were inside a frame, but even then I'm not sure.

You can upgrade safari if the update is offered with software update or the app
store. But I would imagine you can only update it so far before you would have
to upgrade in order to have any more safari updates. You aren't going to
accidentally upgrade Snow leopard to Lion so if a safari update is offered, you
can take it.

As for your final question, I don't know about that one. On the web page i'm on
I can't move up and down with ctrl-option up and down arrow but maybe it is
something in my settings or the particular web page. I almost always use
ctrl-option-right arrow and left arrow to make sure I don't miss anything.

--
Cheryl

The name of Jesus is not only light but also food;
it is also oil, without which all food of the
soul is dry;
it is salt, without whose seasoning whatever is set before us is insipid;
finally, it is honey in the mouth,
melody in the ear,
rejoicing in the heart,
and at the same time medicine.
Every discourse in which his name is not spoken is without savor.
(Bernard as quoted in Calvin's Institutes)

On Aug 22, 2015, at 9:54 PM, Singing Sparrow <sunshine@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Ok, I got the headers to work.
someone told me i did not need to stop interacting with the web page.
I found out Yes you have to stop interacting with the web page. to use the
headers.
Now though i can not read line by line
Isn't this command
control option up and down arrow?
if so do i need to stop interacting with theweb page?
also can a person update safari with out having to update the total osx
operating system?

On 8/22/2015 4:18 PM, Cheryl Homiak wrote:
I stand corrected; I must have thought I had finished searching the whole
document when I had not.

First of all, you could try rebooting if you haven't already done that.

Secondly, You could try resetting all voiceover preferences though this
isn't actually a preference that you set. But I do know that when i've had
focus issues, etc. I have reset my preferences and then done my choices over
again and this has solved it.

Go into voiceover utility and over to file and down to reset all voiceover
preferences. You'll be asked to confirm this. Just realize that this means
you will have to go in and choose your preferences all over again because
they will be back to defaults. But after you do the preferences reset and
before you change anything back to the way you prefer it, do vo-k and try
the cmd-option-ctrl-h again and see if this has fixed it. But at the same
time remember that you can set this up in your rotor although it may not be
as convenient.

I must say that I was reminded of a few things about navigating the web with
voiceover that I don't use often and had forgotten: not specifically in Snow
Leopard but also here in Yosemite. Voiceover has come a long way from when
it was first presented in Mac OS Tiger!

--
Cheryl

The name of Jesus is not only light but also food;
it is also oil, without which all food of the
soul is dry;
it is salt, without whose seasoning whatever is set before us is insipid;
finally, it is honey in the mouth,
melody in the ear,
rejoicing in the heart,
and at the same time medicine.
Every discourse in which his name is not spoken is without savor.
(Bernard as quoted in Calvin's Institutes)

On Aug 22, 2015, at 12:13 PM, Singing Sparrow <sunshine@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
<mailto:sunshine@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

according to the getting started guide the control option command h is
there so not sure why it is not working.

On 8/22/2015 11:22 AM, Cheryl Homiak wrote:
I want to clarify that the link I gave is the link to the "getting
started" page with the voiceover manuals. You then must find the snow
leopard one and download that.

--
Cheryl

The name of Jesus is not only light but also food;
it is also oil, without which all food of the
soul is dry;
it is salt, without whose seasoning whatever is set before us is insipid;
finally, it is honey in the mouth,
melody in the ear,
rejoicing in the heart,
and at the same time medicine.
Every discourse in which his name is not spoken is without savor.
(Bernard as quoted in Calvin's Institutes)

On Aug 22, 2015, at 11:19 AM, Cheryl Homiak <cah4110@xxxxxxxxxx
<mailto:cah4110@xxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

It appears to me that it is not a bug. I just took the time to look at
the voiceover getting started for snow leopard which I found using
google. I admit I might be missing something but a quick search for
headers in that document reveals no cmd-option-control-h keystroke;
again, I'm not saying unequivocally it is not there. If it doesn't show
when you do vo-k and cmd-option-ctrl-h then it was not yet introduced and
that would not make it a bug. Things that haven't been included yet just
aren't included; they aren't bugs.

There are other ways to access headers. They were an item in the rotor in
Snow leopard and so you can put them in your rotor in your voiceover
utility settings and use the rotor to navigate to them. it also appears
that, if you have a trackpad, you can use gestures to navigate them. I am
including below the link to the rtf file posted on the macfortheblind
website; I believe when you find the snow leopard voiceover getting
started for snow leopard link the file will download and open in text
edit for you; if not look for it in downloads once you have hit the link
if it doesn't show in safari.

http://macfortheblind.com/Getting-started-with-the-Mac-and-VoiceOver
<http://macfortheblind.com/Getting-started-with-the-Mac-and-VoiceOver>

As for the Keyboard Commander, it doesn't appear that "headers" are an
option in keyboard commander in Yosemite; I don't know if it would be an
option in Snow Leopard or not. If it was, it would be under "web" i would
imagine once you select the keyboard commander under commanders in
voiceover utility, do vo-space on add" and do vo-space on the menu
button.
--
Cheryl

The name of Jesus is not only light but also food;
it is also oil, without which all food of the
soul is dry;
it is salt, without whose seasoning whatever is set before us is insipid;
finally, it is honey in the mouth,
melody in the ear,
rejoicing in the heart,
and at the same time medicine.
Every discourse in which his name is not spoken is without savor.
(Bernard as quoted in Calvin's Institutes)

On Aug 22, 2015, at 1:33 AM, Ian Edwards <
<mailto:ianedwards42@xxxxxxxxx>ianedwards42@xxxxxxxxx
<mailto:ianedwards42@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

If it's not there, you should be able to set it up using keyboard
commander.

Ian

On Aug 22, 2015, at 12:26 AM, Singing Sparrow <
<mailto:sunshine@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>sunshine@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
<mailto:sunshine@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

Ok, so when in safari do vo k and then press control option command and
see if it is even there?
If it is there and it should be working what is wrong and how can i fix
it? if it is not there can a person make it usable when needing to? or
will i have to update to even get this to work correctly?

On 8/22/2015 1:15 AM, Ian Edwards wrote:
Have you been able to use the key combination anywhere else? It's not
one I use regularly, so I admit that I don't know where else it might
be applied. You could try activating the key describer with VO K, then
try the key combination to see what it reports. It's possible that for
some reason the key combination just isn't active on that computer.

Ian

On Aug 22, 2015, at 12:11 AM, Tuscia Falconer <
<mailto:tusciafalconer@xxxxxxxxxxxx>tusciafalconer@xxxxxxxxxxxx
<mailto:tusciafalconer@xxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

In the voiceOver Utilities, under Web - Navigation are you
set to DOM or Group ?
This doesn't make a lot of difference though DOm should offer more
headings.
It may be that SN does not offer this key command.
Are you on your friends computer, can you test another SN computer ?

TF

On 22/08/2015, at 6:05 pm, Singing Sparrow <
<mailto:sunshine@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>sunshine@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
<mailto:sunshine@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

I have tried many pages and the control option command h will not
work it is like voice over is ignoring the command set.
I have tried the following.
http://www.yahoo.com <http://www.yahoo.com/>
http://www.betanews.com <http://www.betanews.com/>
http://www.blindbargains.com <http://www.blindbargains.com/>
just to name a few.

On 8/22/2015 12:17 AM, Tuscia Falconer wrote:
Try a different web page.

TF

On 22/08/2015, at 1:59 pm, Singing Sparrow
<mailto:sunshine@xxxxxxxxxxxxx><sunshine@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
<mailto:sunshine@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Ok, have a question for all of you.
using snow leppard, safari web browser.
When doing control option comand h nothing happens.
Have tried fn control option comand h and still nothing happens.
Is there a problem with voice over and snow leppard and safari?
I know this is an old versionof osx but wanted to ask about it here.
Can anyone tell me if this is something i am doing wrong or is this
a problem with the osx version/voiceover/ safari version i am using
currently?

http://www.icanworkthisthing.com <http://www.icanworkthisthing.com/>

Manage your subscription by using the web interface on the link
below.
//www.freelists.org/list/macvoiceover
<//www.freelists.org/list/macvoiceover>

<mailto:macvoiceover-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>macvoiceover-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx