[macvoiceover] Re: Setting VO to read column headings in Numbers

  • From: Ian Edwards <ianedwards42@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Mac Voiceover list Mac Voiceover List <macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Sep 2015 14:55:28 -0600

Ahh, sorry about that, I could have expalned this to you as exactly what I
meant. I will give you a couple of shortcuts to save a few steps though, VO J
will jump you to the formatter without all the interacting, and VO J again will
jump you back into your table. There is alos an option for this in the tbla
menu. It’s a sub men for header rows or one for header columns. I find it
quicker to use the menu if I’m jut setting one, but having to do a second, like
if I’ setting both colun and row headers it’s easier to jump to the formatter
with VO J because you can change both without having to go back through the
whole menu. One last shortcut, you can also use the voice over item chooser. VO
I to bring it up, then type head and VO space on the first option for headers
and footers. This works if you already know that the formatter is set to table.
If it is set to one of the other options, then the headers and footers just
won't be in the chooser. In that case VO J to the formatter and click the
table option.

Cheers,

Ian

On Sep 19, 2015, at 2:41 PM, Russell Solowoniuk <rsolowoniuk@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi Ian,

After much playing around, I figured out how to do this.

1. Stop interacting with table.
2. Stop interacting with sheet.
3. VO left arrow to “Formatter group” and interact.
4. Make sure ther Table radio button is selected.
5. VO right arrow till you get to Table Formatter, and interact.
6. You will find a header column count popup, and aheader row count popup.
7. VO space on each and set the number you wish, for example, if you don’t
wish the row columns to be read set this number to 0. If your column headings
are in row three, set this number to 3.
8. After setting these numbers, stop interacting twice, VO right arrow back
to sheet layout, and interact twice. Now VO should read the column and row
headings you chose.

Hope this is helpful.

Russell
On Sep 19, 2015, at 11:51 AM, Ian Edwards <ianedwards42@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

The way I usually accomplish this is to temporarily set the headers or
columns to zero, as I haven't found a way to have VoiceOver read only one or
the other.

Sent from my iPhone

On Sep 19, 2015, at 11:29 AM, Russell Solowoniuk <rsolowoniuk@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Hi everyone,

I have a spreadsheet in Numbers. VO is currently reading row headings, but,
I need VO to read column headings, and not to read row headings, in this
particular spreadsheet. Is there a way to do this?

Thanks,

Russell>