[macvoiceover] Re: Serious answers on how to get Windows on a mac mini already running leopard?

  • From: Jacob Schmude <j.schmude@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2008 10:17:36 -0700

Hi David
While I don't run Windows anymore--I'm windows free, thank goodness!-- the security advantages to running it a VM are definitely there. Here's the best example I can think of: a virus or trojan gets in past whatever Virus protection, firewalls, or whatever applies to the situation. Now, this virus goes after your hard drive, in particular the partition table to zero out the drive. In bootcamp, this would also blow away your Mac OS X partitions, as windows has direct access to the drive itself. This would, for most people, necessitate a reinstall of the system--though there are ways to recover partition tables. By contrast, in a VM, be it Fusion or Parallels, since the disk is virtual and that is all windows has access to on a device level, your VM disk would become corrupted and that's it. Your Mac partition would remain unaffected. Also, one other advantage to VM's is a quick restore of a running system. Get the system how you want it, and make a backup of it. When windows starts to go nuts, as it often does after a while, restore your backup. Quick and clean, without having to reinstall everything again. Being someone who has run many different operating systems and a lot of unusual boot configurations, these are some of the advantages to using a virtual machine as I've found them.
hth

On Apr 20, 2008, at 8:32 AM, David Poehlman wrote:

what is not to understand is that you can lock down windows.

I've been running various computers with windows for over 15 years and never had a meltdown like this. If this is as serious as you suggest and I am not saying it's not, it's being well unpublicized. The language is over my
head.