[macvoiceover] Re: Seasoned users, please share what you have learned.

  • From: Ron J. <ganahee@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2008 15:38:46 -0500

Hey everyone,

I *love* the Item Chooser, Link Chooser (although I wish it'd speak the link you select, when its landed on), and the NumPad Commander! I was disappointed to see that Apple hadn't put that into the first version of VO. Virtually *every* screen reader I've ever used (and I've been using them a long time), has had NumPad navigation of some kind - even OutSPOKEN - none of them have had it like it is in Leopard, and it's great!

One of the functions in Leopard's VO, which I find *EXTREMELY* useful, is the "Copy last spoken phrase to Pasteboard" command - VO- Shift-C.

I have an MP3 collection of nearly 9000 songs, and I'm using Wikipedia to research the Genres, Composers, Years, etc for them. I use this command to copy things from the page, such as composer's names, etc, then copy them into the appropriate places in iTunes. This makes my work much more enjoyable/easier, and it ensures accuracy (assuming the data on the page is accurate). This function doesn't seem to work well with the VO-A command (Speak contents of VO- cursor). Usually, all I get out of that is a "space". If Apple can fix this, it should be a really "Killer" function!

Something else I find particularly useful, is Dom & Group navigation. I use Group Navigation, most of the time, on web pages (although I didn't use it at first). It makes them lots easier to navigate and digest. I use Dom Navigation to help with reading the chat window in Adium & Skype, as, according to one of Adium's developers, Apple has some sort of bug in their HTML rendering which necessitates either turning VO off, then back on again (Command-F5), or using Dom Navigation, to read this text, as VO doesn't always see new IMs which come in.

I've used Hot-Spots, some, but honestly, haven't found any real major uses for them, but in some instances, they are helpful.

Help Tags are great - especially in apps which don't have labeled buttons.

There are lots of other *great* VO commands. Learn more about them by invoking the VO Menu (VO-F7, then VO-Down Arrow once to help, and select it.

Hope all this is helpful to everyone - especially all you new users out there! BTW, welcome to our community!!!

Take Care!

Ron

On Apr 22, 2008, at 2:38 PM, John Panarese wrote:

Hi Keith,
This is a great idea. I can say that one of the best features in Leopard that I have been using more and more is the num pad commander. I think it gives the user so much power and flexibility.

Take Care

John Panarese

On Apr 22, 2008, at 2:06 PM, Keith Reedy wrote:

Hi folks,

Many of us have been using the MAC and Voiceover for a long time and we have a lot to share. We now have several new, or, wood-be MAC users on the list. From time to time, please send along something that you have learned to the list. I say from time to time because we have new folks joining this list almost every day.

And new list members, you mite want to create a mailbox with a name something like, learning the MAC, or, what ever you find useful to store these how-to messages in.

Thanks to every one.

Ron J. | AKA Ganahee

AIM: Ganahee
MSN: Ganahee@xxxxxxxxxxx
Yahoo!: Ganahee
Skype: Ganahee

Phone: 605-759-0694

"For millions of years, mankind lived, just like the animals. Then something happened, which unleashed the power of our imagination - we learned to talk."

From the MD "The Division Bell", the track "Keep Talking".