[macvoiceover] Re: Safari, VO and Controls that behave strangely

  • From: David Poehlman <david.poehlman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 7 Feb 2009 20:23:48 -0500

<chickle> actually, there are more than 2. there is vo, system, mouse and insertion pointer.

On Feb 7, 2009, at 7:20 PM, Mark Baxter wrote:

Not to mention that it helps with house breaking and generally instills good manners... Cursors can be so rude... I have cursor tracking on, but there are still two independent functioning cursors.

On Feb 7, 2009, at 3:46 PM, David Poehlman wrote:

cursors doing different things as you suggest below is why I have all my cursers tethered.

On Feb 7, 2009, at 3:02 PM, Mark Baxter wrote:

This actually strikes at an issue I've been discussing lately about the inconsistencies of when to press space bar, VO space bar, enter, click, whatever. It's easy to remember that there are two cursors, and that they do not always follow each other, so a raw space or an enter press may activate something on a totally different part of the screen. It seems to me that there are enough audio bells and whistels in OS10 that the answer may be in having discrete sounds to identify which control activation sequence is needed. I, for one, do not know all of the meanings of the different beeps and boops my Mac makes. I've kept them on, because they don't seem to slow down the OS at all, and I loved all the computer sounds in shows like ST:TNG and DS9 and so on. I'd like to see a live walk-through type scenario where I could identify what each native sound meant and when it would be made. Does that make sense?

On Feb 7, 2009, at 6:19 AM, Chris Hofstader wrote:

Hi,

This is really a feature request and may not belong here but I don't know where to send such notions.

The problem: I use www.emusic.com for most of my digital music downloads. They are straight mp3 files with a 384 bps rate and they have an incredible library of classical and jazz recordings (as well as other items that do not make the cut on the popularity list to be included in some of the other stores). Emusic has never had copy protection and the site works reasonably well with most screen readers.

One oddity on emusic, though, is that some buttons must be activated with the ENTER key. So, pressing SPACE does nothing, VO +SPACE also does nothing but ENTER gets things flowing again.

I would like to suggest that VO, which should have access to the keystroke that a control wants should announce it when the keystroke is not one that fits the generic model for kb operation. I don't know how many pathologic controls are out there but pressing SPACE and sitting patiently hearing silence is fairly aggravating.

Happy Hacking,
cdh

Mark Baxter
markbaxter38@xxxxxxxxx