[macvoiceover] Reliability was: RE: Re: second try for i-tunes question

  • From: "Chris Hofstader" <cdh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Jan 2009 09:36:30 -0500

cara wrote:    I'm constantly amazed at how reliable Apple apps and the
system as
a whole actually are...

This statement in and of itself is so true that I would now recommend any
person with vision impairment who isn't incredibly proficient in the
computational weirdness that haunt most other screen access tools.

Because of my job, I need to use all three OS (Windows, Macintosh and
Ubuntu) almost every day.  JAWS will typically require three or four
restarts in a six or seven hour hacking session.  Orca under Ubuntu rarely
crashes too hard but looking at the system log (something only we serious
geeks ever do) one can see where it crashed softly and was restarted by the
OS almost immediately.

Screen access tools tend to insert some instability (more so when they are
doing a lot of undocumented stuff but also when communication with
accessibility API is not implemented properly).  My record for running my
Macintosh without restarting approached 5 weeks and I have still only
rebooted after I'm told to while installing new software.

A computer shy grandma gets very nervous when things start going bad and, as
this happens far less frequently on a Macintosh, I think this is absolutely
the right solution for home, work, education and play.

JAWS still does some things that aren't available on Macintosh (Flash (sort
of), Citrix, Java Accessibility Bridge) and if these are essential, you
gotta bite the bullet until Macintosh catches up.  Otherwise, though, I do
not see a compelling reason to buy another brand, especially because you can
run Windows in a VM anyway.

Happy Hacking,
cdh

Chris Hofstader