[macvoiceover] Re: Really strange happenings after fooling with Sound settings.

  • From: Cheryl Ann Homiak <cahomiak@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2011 00:44:02 -0500 (CDT)

make sure some window isn't still open that your cursor is ending up in so that your sound quits again. If the headphones were bluetooth and no longer exist, make sure you go into bluetooth settings and remove them.

I had this happen to me just the other night, accidentally losing sound trying to change between output devices. Unfortunately my braillelite only works in terminal but at least since I have it set to come up at startup I knew when the computer had booted. I tried going into System Preferences "deaf" so to speak but still didn't fix the problem. I replaced a file I thought might contain the correct settings from my superduper backup and that didn't solve it. I finally had to just plain do a reverse superduper backup, backing up the drive where I'd lost sound from the one that is usually the backup. That worked, so I know there is a file somewhere on my system that contains those output settings and someday I'll find it and then I'll be able to solve such problems without nearly going into panic! I can tell you that it isn't ~/Library/preferences/com.apple.soundprefs.plist or maybe it is that file plus some other file; someday I'm going to track it down!

--
Cheryl

May the words of my mouth
and the meditation of my heart