[macvoiceover] Re: Reading .pdf files

  • From: Tuscia-Falconer <tusciafalconer@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 1 Nov 2014 13:49:14 +1300

That worked for me.
I did not reset Preview as my default pdf reader but after going to the pdf
file in Finder I then went into the File menu and down to 'Open With' and
selected Preview, then turned VO off, pressed spacebar and VO, out of habit, to
open the file, waited then turned VO back on and was able to read the file that
previously was a blank !

Excellent !

TF

On 1/11/2014, at 1:24 pm, Cheryl Homiak <cah4110@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

There is a work-around for this problem. But skim is not a solution. My
experience is that if you are having this problem with a pdf file in Preview,
you will also have it in Skim.

But in Preview, here’s your work-around. Go to the file you want to read in
finder. Turn voiceover off and then do cmd-o to open the file. You should now
be able to interact and read the file. It appears that this will continue to
work for that file as long as you have Preview open but if you quit Preview
and/or restart your computer, you will have to do this again.

Also for files that are not picture/image files but that you can’t initially
read with Preview, it usually still works to do cmd-a to select all in the
file, copy with cmd-c, and then paste into Text Edit or some other application.

Finally, if you have not already done so, report this to
accessibility@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:accessibility@xxxxxxxxx> and never, never
assume that enough others have reported the problem and your input is
unnecessary.

Hth.

--
Cheryl

I tried and tried to turn over a new leaf.
I got crumpled wads of tear-stained paper
thrown in the trash!
Then God gave me a new heart and life:
His joy for my despairing tears!
And now, every day: