[macvoiceover] Re: Project Management Software that's accessible

  • From: Chris Hofstader <cdh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 25 Dec 2009 09:38:22 -0500

Hi,

When I still worked for FS as VP of software engineering (I'm gone for more
than five years now), I pushed real hard to get JAWS to support MS Project
because, given the enormity and number of many of our tasks, I really needed
something to use myself that the sighted team leaders could also use - blind or
not.

I don't recall which version of JAWS or of MS Project that we actually got
working to a level that would be considered "usable" but, if you didn't upgrade
Project, there were a few years that JAWS worked with it.

In addition to wanting it for myself, a off topic theme that I often mention on
this list also motivated the development: notably, we wanted blind people to
have tools to do jobs.  For most applications and employment situations, JAWS
did and still does a pretty good job.  Then, I wanted to provide tools that our
users could use to get a promotion - namely the really advanced features in the
Office suite and programs like Project.  About two years after the merger, I
lost the budget for these programs as they couldn't be explained by definite
new sales.  The economics of AT biting us in the butt yet again.

There is currently no project management software on any platform supported by
any screen reader.  You can use a spreadsheet to do a lot of the things one may
use a project management tool for if you do a lot with sorting rules to create
different views and write macros (if the spreadsheet supports them) to deal
with the rest.

Sorry for the negativity, I'm actually happy today enjoying Christmas with my
wife, dogs and some real close friends down here in South Beach.

Happy Christmas (or whatever holiday you like the best),
cdh