[macvoiceover] Re: Problem solved: how to restore a backup from an external hard disk using only one USB port on a Mac ook Air?

  • From: David Poehlman <david.poehlman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2009 05:20:22 -0400

now, this is the kind of solution oriented info we need.

On Jul 23, 2009, at 9:15 PM, Robin Kipp wrote:

Hi all,
just for the people who haven't read my last message on here: after picking up my Mac Book Air from the Apple store, I wanted to restore a Time Machine backup I had saved on an external USB drive. As the Mac Book Air only has one USB port, this seemed to be impossible, since this was already used by the external CD-drive. I needed the CD drive in order to boot up the Mac Os 10.5 installer DVD, which has a function to restore a Time Machine backup. Since I therefore was unable to connect the CD drive and the external disk to the laptop and thus not restore the backup, I really had no idea what to do. It was already quite late here in Switzerland, so I wouldn't be able to call Apple Care here. So what I did, being too desperate to wait until the next day, is I called Apple Care in the US. I immediately got connected to a very friendly operator, told him about my situation and asked him if he could help me. He got right into it (and I noticed how AMAZING (!!!) the quality of the technical support is compared to the support in Switzerland, which is quite bad actually). The guy wanted to know my serial number, but since my Mac Os was completely messed up, I told him that I couldn't get it from the "About this Mac" screen. He asked me to read it from the bottom of the device, but when I told him I was visually impaired he was just fine with that! He put me on hold for a few minutes to talk to someone else about my backup problem then came back and told me it was possible to remotely launch the whole setup DVD, meaning the DVD is in another computer (no matter if Mac or PC), you have to start up a little program on the computer that holds the DVD, and then your Mac Book Air can boot the DVD over the network!!! The Mac Book Air manual describes this pretty well (I have no idea if this is also available for other Macs), but here's just a quick overview of how it works. As I don't have another Mac computer, I used my Windows PC to do it, so I'm just able to describe how to do it on there. I'm sure it isn't much different with a Mac though! So, basically what you do is put the Mac Os 10.5 DVD into your computer. A setup window will open, asking you what you'd like to do. Here, you select CD and DVD sharing. Another dialog will open where you can choose something like "Remotely install Mac Os". A small application will be installed which you can then simply launch from your Programs menu. Leave your Mac Os DVD in the drive and open this program. There will be on screen instructions which you can read using the Jaws cursor. The program will ask you to select which CD / DVD you'd like to share. Next, you can select whether the computer that will boot from the CD / DVD is connected to the network via ethernet or Airport (this is normal WiFi, you don't need an Airport station for that!). I chose the Airport option and clicked next. Now, you're asked to start up your Mac Book Air. After pressing the power button, you must hold down the option key for some time. A list of volumes to boot from will appear on the screen, however VO won't work here (after all, there's no Os loaded), so this is the only inaccessible part of it where you will need a sighted person. Here, you can actually pick a Wi Fi network to boot from, and after a few seconds, the remote Mac Os DVD appeared in the startup volumes list!!! Neat, isn't it? Anyway, after selecting this, the installer began booting. Using the wireless connection, this took me significantly longer than booting from a connected CD / DVD drive, but I'd already expected that anyway. When I noticed that the DVD had stopped spinning in my computer's drive, I brought up VO on my Mac Book and was able to restore the backup from the USB disk connected to the laptop!!! So, if anyone needs to restore a backup on a Mac Book Air, this is probably the best way to go!
Robin