[macvoiceover] Re: Prizmo and KNFB

  • From: "Mary Otten" <maryotten@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2015 09:43:12 -0700

I haven't used Prizmo lately. I never had any sort of luck with it, but
I also don't have a stand. I have KNFB and, without a stand, I can get
decent recognition, enough to tell what the document is, usually mail,
that I'm looking at. The big advantage for KNFB is the feedback you can
get concerning the orientation of your phone vis-a-vis the document,
i.e., is your phone level, does the camera see all sides of the page,
indicating that you may need to raise or lower the phone before taking
the picture, etc. KNFB has a batch mode and, with version 2.0, a hands
free mode, which would be good if you do have a stand. The guy who
makes the fopydo is supposedly going to start a kick starter campaign
to bring the development of a book attachment for his stand to market.
that could be pretty nice, I think. I'm going to get a fopydo, I think.
Clearly, the cost difference between KNFB and Prizmo is significant.
KNFB has gone on sale a few times since its introduction. And it is
obviously being developed with more features being added. If you have
Prizmo, it'd probably gbe worth it to get a stand and see what your
results are before spending the extra money. On the other hand, there
is something to be said for the extra blindness-oriented features of
KNFB. Compared with the cost of other blindness-oriented solutions, it
is pretty cheap, and without a stand, at least for me, it is the only
game in town for getting readable text from my phone.

Mary