[macvoiceover] Re: Patching software

  • From: A-Pro Studio <admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Greg Kearney <gkearney@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 03 May 2007 22:06:59 +0200

Hi,

This sounds like a great work-around for certain situations.....

Will this work for apps like MOTU Digital Performer and the line of products from Native Instruments? These are absolutely not accessable at all, the windows are blank.....

Take care,
John André

----------
Kontakt info: (Contact info in english below)

John André Netland

Postadresse: Søråshøgda 108 b, 5235 Rådal
Mobil/SMS/MMS: 97 16 87 94
Mail: privat@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Web: http://www.a-pro-studio.no/privat
Skype chat: johnandrenetland

For snail mail and phone calls from outside Norway, please use:
John André Netland, Soraashogda 108 b, NO 5235 Raadal, Norway
Mobile phone/SMS/MMS +47 97 16 87 94

On 3. mai. 2007, at 21:54, Greg Kearney wrote:

Some of you may recall discussions a while back here about my work at taking existing programs and adding VoiceOver accessibility to them. I was able to do this to Skype and a program called iStopMotion. (Used to make stop motion animations.)

The problem was I didn't feel right about giving out my modified versions as these are commercial programs. Now however I have found software that lets me make patch files that will modify and make a copy of the program. There are still issues here as I still must copy parts of the program, called nib files, for this to work.

My first attempt, trying to make a patch application for Skype resulted in failure as the new program failed to launch when the patch was applied. However iStopMotion can be patched and that seems to work well. What you do is to point the patch application at the original file and then run it you get back an application called in this case iStopMotion_VO which will have accessible controls where none existed in the original program.

It should be stressed that this is not a panacea for accessibility issues. But for some Cocoa based program where the authors simply forgot to put in the accessibility tag in the interface it does work.

Greg Kearney
gkearney@xxxxxxxxx