[macvoiceover] Re: Other backup solutions for the Mac?

  • From: David Poehlman <david.poehlman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2009 06:36:25 -0400

you should take a look at configuring time machine incase you need to do that.

On Aug 9, 2009, at 8:25 PM, Marcy Weinberg wrote:

Hi, Robin and everybody,
I have an 80-gig external hard dirve. When I had to hav the os reinstalled on my macbook at the Apple store, the genius and I wound up in a discussion about backing up. He configured my external drive so that now, I can hook it up, press vo-m-m, and right arrow to menu. I arrow down, and it tells me the date of my latest backup. Then, I arrow down again to back up now, hit enter, and my mac is backed up again. Seamless and easy! I'm not entering Tme Machine, as the entry under back up now is enter time machine. It's really easy! My external was originally for my other machine, and after I got my mac I was given help to configure it for my mac. Marcy
On Aug 9, 2009, at 7:28 PM, Robin Kipp wrote:

Hi,
I don't know if backups made with Time Machine are bootable, but even if they are, it wouldn't be easy to restore the backup from the external drive to the original hard disk, because I think Time Machine does not have a restore function, at least I haven't found that yet. The only way to restore a Time Machine backup I know of is booting from the original Mac os DVD, where you can select Time Machine in the utilities menu. However, this means the CD drive and the external hard drive need to be connected to the computer at the same time, which is not possible on computers with no internal CD drive and only one USB port, such as the Mac book Air. I personally use Super Duper, which works best for me. It creates nice copies of your system's hard drive and stores them on another hard drive from which you can then boot and restore the backup, so it will be copied to the system's hard drive. No Cds or DVDs are required for this, and you can make full backups with the free version that's available. The full (paid) version can also keep the files on the backup drive in sync with your system's drive so the backup is basically an exact copy of the original drive.
Hope this helps!
Robin

Wordy Mom
Think positive,