[macvoiceover] Re: Ot: Airport Express

  • From: David Poehlman <david.poehlman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2009 17:54:52 -0400

Airtunes has never handled movies. I'll have to try it with the latest update. I was saying that airfoil would solve the problem

On Jul 15, 2009, at 5:48 PM, Tim Grady wrote:

Are you talking about Airfoil? If you update the firmware of your expresses and extremes it does do movies. I don't think that was ever Airfoil's problem, though, because I had the same problem with Itunes, which I don't have now that I updated my Extreme and Expresses to 5.42.
On Jul 15, 2009, at 8:18 AM, David Poehlman wrote:

it has never handled movies.

On Jul 15, 2009, at 8:13 AM, Ignasi Cambra wrote:

Yes. That should do what you need... Just get the demo and buy it if you like it. I don't think it's anything more than 20 or 30 bucks...

Ignasi
On Jul 15, 2009, at 8:10 AM, Chris Hofstader wrote:

Airfoil?
On Jul 15, 2009, at 7:40 AM, David Poehlman wrote:

try airfoil.

On Jul 15, 2009, at 7:14 AM, Chris Hofstader wrote:

Well, that's annoying. I don't want to go out and buy an acceptable set of amplified speakers to sit next to the Bose rig nor do I want to run its line out to the Bose as I don't want VO etc coming from the big stereo.

I suppose it's a good thing we tend to prefer documentaries and such where really good audio quality isn't important. Also, the rental was only 5 bucks so no real loss in the transaction.

cdh
On Jul 14, 2009, at 7:33 PM, David Poehlman wrote:

It does not handle movies and I don't know why. it's not that it can't, it's that it does not. I think it has to do with it being video.

On Jul 14, 2009, at 6:25 PM, Chris Hofstader wrote:

Hi,

I have my iMac set up to send music and such to my Airport Express which is plugged into a (no highs, no lows, must be) Bose stereo. This has worked with all music and some soundtracks on video. Then, this afternoon Susan and I had a couple of free hours so we rented a movie and it insisted on ignoring the output setting in iTunes (by default it says "Computer button" when you land on it) and we had to put up with the audio built into an iMac 24 which is better than most integrated computer speakers, far less good than the Bose and an unbelievable loss of quality compared to the stereo I have at home in Florida.

I guess I grew a set of expectations and am not sure if this is a bug in iTunes or a flaky feature. The Express can handle lossless (Apple or FLAC) audio data so HD movie should be a piece of cake.

Happy Hacking,
cdh