[macvoiceover] OpenOffice Help files? Using OO outline features?

  • From: Chris Hofstader <cdh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2008 14:00:16 -0500

Hi,

I've been using MS Word since version 3.0 for DOS so my neuropathways are programmed to use its features as I would expect they would behave from release to release over the past 22 years. Since switching to Macintosh, I've been using the OpenOffice Writer and find that it is a really powerful writing tool that, in many places performs exactly as does Word.

A couple of exceptions, though, have me pulling my hair out today: the first is navigating the OO help which, using VO, doesn't seem to make any sense to me - for instance, if I get into the search edit text field, I cannot figure out how to get to the results portion of the page. there also seem to be a bunch of buttons that don't seem to do anything I can figure out.

Second, I really love using outliners to build word processing files that I can then sent the heading only to a presentation program. Word does this nicely with Powerpoint and OO has an entry for doing this under File/send. In the OO Format menu there is a entry for putting bullets and/or numbers along side of outline entries. What I cannot figure out at all is where the outliner is turned on and off. Word does this under the View menu but I can't find it anywhere (and I've looked pretty much everywhere in OO that I thought might be probable.

Please help,
cdh