[macvoiceover] Re: Open Office good news, sort of!

  • From: Jude DaShiell <jdashiel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2010 05:05:55 -0400 (EDT)

You did enable openoffice accessibility from within openoffice right?On Tue, 11 Aug 2009, patrickneazer wrote:

Hello Russell and all:

Only new hat around here (smile).

Always remember, if you were not around this list would have to find something else to do (grin).

Keep up the fantastic job.

On Aug 11, 2009, at 9:15 AM, Russell Solowoniuk wrote:

Hi Ignasi & all,

Thanks for that. I keep forgetting that someof you guys are long time Mac users, so some of the stuff I post is old hat for you! <smile>

Hope some of these issues will  be fixed in future versions of Open Office.

Russell

On 11-Aug-09, at 4:28 AM, Ignasi Cambra wrote:

> Hello,
> Yes, the spreadsheet app is indeed pretty accessible. I never tried > opening databases so can't talk about that, but the problem with the text > processing application is well known. Every time you start a new line, OO > actually creates a new control (like a new edit field I guess...) and > that's why VO reads it this way. This problem is the only thing that > keeps me from using Open Office as my primary application for text > processing. I think they are aware of the issue, which is of course not > VO's fault, so hopefully we'll see it fixed at some point. > > Ignasi
> On Aug 11, 2009, at 1:02 AM, Russell Solowoniuk wrote:
> > > Hi all, > > > > I just downloaded and installed Open Office. I have some good news, > > and not so good news. > > > > First, the good news... it looks like the spreadsheet application is > > quite accessible. VO reads the cell coordinates as well as the > > contents of a cell that you move into. I tried Numbers, in the i"Works > > suite, and was very disappointed to find that the only way to get the > > contents of a cell announced is to interact with it, and I don't think > > the coordinates are read at all! So I was quite excited to see that > > the Open Office, spreadsheet, at least at first blush, seems to be > > accessible. > > > > Now, for the not so good news. I tried opening one of my database > > files created in MS Access, and it wasn't accessible at all. I just > > got a lot of numbers, interspersed with the words, "jet database" or > > something to that effect. > > > > I also opened a word document created in MS Word 2007, and for some > > reason, each time I press the down arrow to read the next line, VO will > > read the line, and then say things like, "edit text, insertion at > > beginningof line". This makes it difficult to read a document. Also, > > VO A doesn't read the document continuously. There may be some > > settings that need to be changed, and I will play more when time > > permits! <grin> > > > > HTH > > > > Russell > > > > > > Click on the link below to go to our homepage.
> > > http://www.icanworkthisthing.com
> > > //www.freelists.org/list/macvoiceover
> > http://www.icanworkthisthing.com
> > //www.freelists.org/list/macvoiceover
> http://www.icanworkthisthing.com
> > Manage your subscription by using the web interface on the link below.
> //www.freelists.org/list/macvoiceover
> > Users can subscribe to this list by sending email to > macvoiceover-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx > with 'subscribe' in the Subject field OR by logging into the Webinterface > at //www.freelists.org/list/macvoiceover >

Take good care and I wish you enough.

Love

Me