[macvoiceover] Re: Open Office good news, sort of!

  • From: Ignasi Cambra <ignasicambra@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2009 17:49:27 -0400

I personally think it will eventually be accessible. Let's just wait and see...

On Aug 11, 2009, at 10:22 AM, David Poehlman wrote:

probably when the universes end.

On Aug 11, 2009, at 10:11 AM, Russell Solowoniuk wrote:

I thought that might be the case! David, is it possible that in the future, MS might make Office accessble for the Mac? Can you look into your crystal ball? <grin>

Russell
On 11-Aug-09, at 7:25 AM, David Poehlman wrote:

I would say that word is not capable of some of text edit's formatting <snicker> but than that would be doing you a disservice and we don't want to do that. There is however no easy answer to this question. you can save a document in several word formats from text edit but if the documents are too fancy with macros and the like and if the version is too late, stuff will get lost.

On Aug 11, 2009, at 9:18 AM, Russell Solowoniuk wrote:

Hi Keith,

I hope this is the case! Keith, if I open an MS Word document in Text Edit, can I edit the document, and then save it and preserve the original formatting, or is Text Edit not capable of dealing with some of Words formatting?

Thanks,

Russell
On 11-Aug-09, at 6:22 AM, Keith Reedy wrote:

Russell,

I really believe that iWork will be improved in SnowLeopard. Just hang in there, we are all hopeing.

Keith Reedy

God gives His best to those who leave the Choice with Him.
J Hudson Taylor.

On Aug 11, 2009, at 1:02 AM, Russell Solowoniuk wrote:

Hi all,

I just downloaded and installed Open Office. I have some good news, and not so good news.

First, the good news... it looks like the spreadsheet application is quite accessible. VO reads the cell coordinates as well as the contents of a cell that you move into. I tried Numbers, in the i"Works suite, and was very disappointed to find that the only way to get the contents of a cell announced is to interact with it, and I don't think the coordinates are read at all! So I was quite excited to see that the Open Office, spreadsheet, at least at first blush, seems to be accessible.

Now, for the not so good news. I tried opening one of my database files created in MS Access, and it wasn't accessible at all. I just got a lot of numbers, interspersed with the words, "jet database" or something to that effect.

I also opened a word document created in MS Word 2007, and for some reason, each time I press the down arrow to read the next line, VO will read the line, and then say things like, "edit text, insertion at beginningof line". This makes it difficult to read a document. Also, VO A doesn't read the document continuously. There may be some settings that need to be changed, and I will play more when time permits! <grin>

HTH

Russell