[macvoiceover] Re: Open Office?

  • From: Keith Reedy <WA9DRO@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2006 11:02:56 -0400

Thanks Greg,

I have learned something already this morning.
Keith Reedy
WA9DRO@xxxxxxxxx
God gives his best to those who leave the choice with him--J. Hudson Taylor

On Jun 16, 2006, at 10:14 AM, Greg Kearney wrote:

I would like to offer an explanation as to why some programs work with
VoiceOver and others do not. There are three means of presenting a
graphical user interface on MacOSX only one of which is compatible
with VoiceOver and then only when programmed coccectly.

The three methods are as follows.

Aqua interfaces. This was the first native interface for MacOSX as a
rule programs written with it and not VoiceOVer accessible. About two
years ago Apple sent a notice to everyone to stop using this interface
as it would break in future versions of the OS. Unfortunately not
everyone has followed this instruction. Microsoft Office is an example
of a Aqua interface program.

X Windows. This interface is found in application ported quickly from
UNIX systems. OpenOffice is an example. They are never VoiceOver
compatible and it is unlikely they ever will be. Even Jaws and
WindowEyes are unable to navigate X Windows applications.

Cocoa. This is the new current GUI method for MacOSX. Programs written
in Cocoa will be VoiceOver compatible provided the developer has taken
the time to name all his controls in his Cocoa code. If he has not
named all the controls you do not get any spoken indication for that
control. It is possible to add the names of the controls to a Cocoa
program after the program has been released and independent of the
developer but you will need Apple's developer tools to do so.

Finally there is the UXL interface system used by Firefox and related
software. In theory this could be navigable by VoiceOver but will
require a change in VoiceOver to do so.

Hope this is a help.

Greg Kearney

On 6/15/06, Jane Jordan (at home) <juanitatighan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
It most deffinitely does not work with VO.  I have tried it.

Waste of time to even download it.

Jane

Click on the link below to go to our homepage. http://www.icanworkthisthing.com