[macvoiceover] Re: Olearia first public release (version 0.90b)

  • From: "David Poehlman" <david.poehlman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2008 17:05:25 -0400

Hi Jacob and all,

To my knowledge, the only players that are currently allowed for nls dtbs
are the Braille plus, the Icon and the victor reader stream.  These players
are nothing like pcs which have according to nls inherent security flaws
which make them risky for their formats and they also claim that the
resources to produce an adaquate player for windows are not available.
Someone correct me if I am rong or jump in to ad any additional info.  As
far as I know, they have not spoken at all to the Mac issue.  There is a faq
on their site and players plans as they are known are covered.

I will say though that there is some hope that it will be possible to play
nls dtbs on the Ipod but there is no official word from either Apple which
we should expect to be the case nor from NLS which if we do get, won't be
for a while due to the processes that need to happen in order for something
like this to happen.  I'm waiting for public info on this development with
great anticipation!