[macvoiceover] Re: [Off Topic] Thermostat for the Blind

  • From: "Jane Jordan (gmail)" <juanitatighan@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2007 16:35:49 -0400

I saw the price, but actually, can you send me a link that gives all the info about the product? Thanks!

Jane

On Jul 21, 2007, at 2:48 PM, Greg Kearney wrote:

I had to replace the thermostat in our house today so I went to Home Depot to try and find one my wife, who is blind, could use. Most Thermostats these days are high tech affairs with little LCD screens and buttons you can't tell if you have pressed or not.

But I did find, much to my amazement, was a Honeywell model CT87N. This thermostat was made for the blind and low vision users. It has a tactile readable setting with number in black 24 point type on white. When you turn it to set the temperature each two degree setting clicks as you turn the nob. It also come with large print stickers for the cool/off/heat and fan/auto switches.

Perhaps the most amazing of all there was a braille card in the packaging giving a toll free number to call to obtain a braille copy of the instructions.

So often we hear for product that are not accessible to the blind I find it refreshing to discover one that goes the extra mile to be accessible.

Greg Kearney

Users can subscribe to this list by sending email to macvoiceover- request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with 'subscribe' in the Subject field OR by logging into the Webinterface at //www.freelists.org/list/macvoiceover