[macvoiceover] Re: OT: Setting up Telnet daemon on Mac os x

  • From: Travis Siegel <windowbridge@xxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2008 10:01:03 -0500

Hmm, you mean telnet connections to your machine from elsewhere, or do you mean telnet to other machines from yours. To telnet to your machine from elsewhere, you need to activate the telnet daemon on osx (this can be done in system preferences, though I don't have the exact steps here, I use ssh instead) You'll need to make sure it's not commented out in the services file though (mine isn't by default, so yours likely is ok too) then you'll need to get it into the startup group, so when the machine boots, telnetd will start automatically. If system prefs doesn't handle it, you'll need to do it manually (a rather irritating process imo).

If you mean telneting to other machines using the terminal, osx already comes with a telnet client, and there's no need to install another one.

On Aug 19, 2008, at 12:04 AM, Jerry Matheny wrote:

Can anyone tell me how to configure the Telnet daemon in Mac os X? I have Macports installed, but telnetd didn't work for the name. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.