[macvoiceover] New member, with lots a starter questions

  • From: "Chris Gilland Laptop" <clgilland07@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2008 00:31:16 -0400

Hello guys. My name's Chris Gilland. I have pretty well been a Windows user almost all my life. I've adventured in just a little to Linux, but not much. Come tomorrow, I am getting my very first Mac computer. It's a power Mac, I believe G4 tower, so it's not the newest system, by any means admittedly, but for a starter system it's really good. I mean, it's got a gig and a half a ram, tiger OSX 10.4, with voice over a corse. Now here are the couple a things I am wonderring though. firstly, I am getting a Mac Printer, with a Wacom mouse, and pen. I really dono what they mean though by pen. This thing was donated to me, so, I am not really certained exactly what all this means. I mean I know what a printer is obviously, and of corse I know what the mouse is, but the pen's confusing me. Also am getting the I-Listen software and a headset. OK, this leads me to a few questions. The keyboard that I am getting is a USB IMac 1o1 or whatever, keyboard. you know, just a standard IMac keyboard basicly. now, they state that this thing's gotta power button right on it. So, does this mean that I have to hit the power button right below the speaker on the tower? I mean that little button that's about the size of a penny, or no no, I can do it straight from the keyboard itself. I ask as I am confused if the power button's just to turn on and off the keyboard, or will that power the whole system. The builder I have said if I start typing and nothing happened try hitting that, but I seem to recall that powers the whole unit not just the keyboard. I think he may be a little confused. Here's the second thing. My builder did *not* put a pwd on the system at log on. He was scared he or myself would forget it. Now, apparently apple told them the default pwd is just the word apple, all in lower case. so, I am confused. if he put no pwd, then will I still have to type apple to get in and get up at my finder? The other thing is, if not, then, will the log on screen come up? See that is my thing. Do I get the auphentification screen even with no pwd? The way I understood is, no, you don't have to put a pwd in when you install Tiger, however, if you don't, and you don't clear out that text field, it will then set the default pwd which is apple. Ultimately, should I get that screen after I hit command f5 to turn on voice over, what do I need to do? I mean, I obviously no vo up, down, left and right, and look at the screen, but specifically can someone give me a someone of an idea what is on this screen, and what I'm gona most likely see as I vo through it? secondly is there a log on button, and if so, can I just tab to it, or do I need to vo right to it, then click it with vo space bar. My final question is, basicly two things: one, being that I know so little about voice over and being I am just beginning to get the hang of things and mac concepts etc. which would you guys personally suggest I use: Fire? or Adium. I basicly am trying to set up my AIM account, and also my msn messenger account. Finally I am gonna want to install Skype. Having said this, once I vo over to the list of contacts and then interact with it, if I click on a contact, will that call them? I wanna be careful as clicking once would only select the contact and highlight it, right? or, am I thinking windows here. I know after interacting with it, just keep vo down arrowing, but...

sorry for all these questions, but, I don't wanna get this thing and not be able to even get started.

Chris.