[macvoiceover] Re: New Guide, Working with effects in GarageBand with voiceover

  • From: "David Poehlman" <david.poehlman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2008 08:05:45 -0400

Thanks ginny for that cogent discourse on working with the garageband
interface for I too have similar issues.  When you press an "arrow button",
it takes a while before its properties populate so as you move around the
screen, you might not at first pick up the difference.  This even happens on
my high powered Mac Book Pro.  There are so many things what with all the
combinations of settings that I can become easily befuddled but I'm easily
befuddled anyway.

Garage band is one of the most complex accessible apps I have ever seen and
I say that because even though you can use some of the stuff in windows that
is complex, most of it is not that accessible.  It would be helpful if more
of the controls were labeled better like there is the word details, then an
"arrow button" but it is not always apparent what that button is for unless
you've been there before.  I think what I really need is for someone who is
really familiar with garage band whether they are familiar with vo or not to
walk through some of the stuff with me at my prompting because I would like
to stick to my approach before I do things differently.  A lot of people go
at this thing from the top down but I want to go at it from the bottom up
and have been at least partially successfull at doing this.  Learning in
this way then provides the building blocks for higher functionality.

I've already said too much.  I'm working slowly on a guide to
instramentation.