[macvoiceover] Network Issues

  • From: Chris Hofstader <cdh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 9 Mar 2009 12:17:23 -0400

Hi Everyone,

I spent last week hiding out in South Beach trying to work on CSUN stuff for Raising The Floor (RTFI) and doing some testing on URC stuff (www.myurc.org). When I got home, my wireless networking started working very strangely.

Specifically, if I open Safari, I get the page that says I'm not connected and asking if I want to run network diagnostics. I go into the diagnostics utility, follow all of the instructions to hook up with my home router and all is happy again. Unfortunately, I have to go through this routine everytime I turn the Mac on. Does anyone know how I can get the Mac to the state it was in before I went south for a little bit of disappearing into the world of the rich and beautiful (of which I am neither).

While down in South Florida, I was able to get a connection if I plugged directly into the Ethernet cable in the apartment where I was staying. This worked pretty well but required fiddling with the cable modem every time we switched computers. Meanwhile, although I have a t-Mobile account, I could not get online at Starbuck's which sort of boggled my mind as I've used this same Macintosh at other Starbuck's around the country.

Unrelated: Can someone send me the link to download and install the new Safari beta? I'd like to give some Aria pages a run for their money versus JAWS 10.0 before I get to Los Angeles and get slammed by the FS marketing machine.

Happy Hacking,
cdh