[macvoiceover] Re: Navigon

  • From: patrickneazer <patrickneazer@xxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 09 Aug 2009 16:46:04 -0400

Hello Russell and all:

You betcha. It really is that way all the time ... they just do not know it (grin).
On Aug 9, 2009, at 4:28 PM, Russell Solowoniuk wrote:

LOL, that's interesting... the blind leading the sighted!

Russell
On 9-Aug-09, at 1:30 PM, patrickneazer wrote:

Hello Russell and all:

Hahaha. You might just as well invest your time in other pursuits. Finding that user's manual might prove illusive (smile). Just a quick story for you. I live in an area where the cab fairs are set. I got into a cab the other day and the gentleman had not a clue where he was going. He drove around and around and became more and more frustrated. I offered to use navigon to help and he first thought it was a good idea. He decided that it was not a good idea when it gave him a street to turn on which he would not have done. So, he went back to trying it his way and you can guess. He called his dispatcher, got directions, did not like those, asked me again to try and then told me navigon was not good because it ran on a phone. He made a turn, threw up his hands and then I heard ... you will reach your destination in 500 feet on the left.

No tip for him (grin).

Apple products rock.
On Aug 9, 2009, at 3:16 PM, Russell Solowoniuk wrote:

Hey Chris,

Wow, that doesn't sound too good! Good thing you have a dog to get you back on track! <smile>

Yes, I've been meaning to look for a user manual, but there aren't enough hours in the day! <grin>

Take care Chris,

Russell
On 9-Aug-09, at 12:57 PM, Chris Hofstader wrote:

Hi Russell,

Thanks for writing. As the software is so new, I expect that we'll be feeling our way through the features and such over the coming weeks and that we'll each have different use cases which will make conversation interesting as we can learn from each others' perspectives.

This morning, I gave Navigon the address of the local "Y" and actually gave it a name and put it into my favorites. I used my current location as the starting point and, in the set destination screen, pulled up the name (it was alone in the list), hit "start navigating and walked in the direction it told me and that I knew was correct. After our first two turns, though, the thing seemed to get all of whack. It told me to turn left when I knew my destination was to the right. It gave me street names that were nearby but not the one I was on or the one I was trying to get to.

The directions got so bad that I finally turned the thing off and, as usual, my dog and I worked for our Sunday morning routine and found our location easily.

I am assuming that I did something wrong in the settings as there is no way anyone would ship a product that got things as bad as this did this morning. For one thing, when I first asked the thing to build a route to the "Y" I set pedestrian and some other options; I haven't looked but I suspect that settings may not stick to routes and that it had returned to the defaults. If this is the case, I wonder if the program has a way to allow one to create a profile that super-cedes the defaults and is automatically used unless otherwise is specified?

I'll go to their web site when I get a chance and see if they have a user manual and/or tutorial.

Happy Hacking,
cdh

PS: Alex is pronouncing the letter Y (why) as E as in the word for and in Spanish. While I did eat Mexican for lunch, my day started at the why.

On Aug 9, 2009, at 10:29 AM, Russell Solowoniuk wrote:

Hi Chris,

I haven't done too much with setting routes yet. I use it mainly for watching for my destination as I'm going somewhere in DATS, a public transit service for the disabled in my city. It's really nice knowing exactly where I am at all times.

Sorry I can't help more than this.

Russell
On 9-Aug-09, at 6:02 AM, Chris Hofstader wrote:

Hi,

Last night after listening to the Serotek podcast #20 which had a segment on the Navigon North American GPS tool, I purchased and let the AppStore install it for me. I've not gotten to the documentation as I fell asleep before trying it out so these questions may be an RTFM but, for now, if anyone has a little experience with the tool:

Can one get a list of the streets on the route like the list mode in the iPhone maps program? If so, how does one get to the screen where this is done? Once I build the destination address, I cannot seem to get back to a place where I might be able to set map options. A lot of the pages have a back button but I cannot seem to find it once I've entered the destination completely.

It does seem quite cool and its accuracy using the iPhone Location Services really rock.

Happy Hacking,
cdh

Take good care and I wish you enough.

Love