[macvoiceover] Re: Navigating the Web

  • From: Laura <laura.mcg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2009 18:38:28 +0000

As well as using the VO commands to jump to headings or links, using the web
rotor might also help. If you press the VO keys and u, you'll get a menu of all
the different elements on the page, for example form controls, headers and
links. Arrowing left and right lets you cycle between these, and you can use
the up and down arrows to investigate the different items in each group.

You can also use letters and numbers to narrow what you're shown. So, if you
know that you're looking for a level 1 heading, open the rotor and select
headers, and then press 1 in the headers list to show you all level one
headings on the page. And if you're browsing in DOM mode and not groups, the up
and down arrows will cycle you through whatever element you last selected in
the rotor, without you having to actually open the rotor. Pressing the up arrow
key with the right or left arrow key allows you to change which setting you
want on the fly. I mostly keep mine set to headers, which means that when I
open a page, I press the down arrow, and I end up on the first heading--if
there are any, of course.

The keyboard commands do lack a lot of the specificity available in JAWS, which
many people like but which I sometimes still miss, but I think the more you use
it, the quicker you'll become at navigating. A lot of it is just trial and
error, and playing around to see which method of browsing works best for you.
At the start, I thought I liked groups mode best, but I actually find DOM mode
much quicker now.