[macvoiceover] Re: My Adventrue wiht the Mac

  • From: Dan Eickmeier <va3ets@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2008 12:13:04 -0500

Hi, as far as the instalation of applications, some will ahve an installer just like windows, but with most, what you do, is open hte .dmg file, and simply copy and paste the application ifle into your applications folder. HTH

On Nov 11, 2008, at 11:39 PM, Mary Anne Lynskey wrote:

Hi everybody. Mac and I are getting along quite well. I was very happy to find software for the Mac which operates my wireless keyboard. It installed right away and the keyboard works great and is much easier to use than the notebook keyboard.

I then proceeded to download Open Office. I don't know how to download onto the Mac, so I copied the download to a thumb drive and installed from there. I hope it installed correctly as I could not find it in the list of aps. I don't know how I eventually found the ap. I think I went back to the thumb drive and got in from there. Is there a right way to install a program? Does one just open it like a download from Windows and then will it install properly?

I pulled up a book I'm reading to eventually put on Bookshare. I somehow found the documents folder, copied it there and then opened it from O.O. When Alex started reading to me, it was stupendous! Better than alot of human readers. I can't wait until the day when I can dump Windows and listen to Alex all the time.

I do have a lot of questions about Open Office, but here are a few to start. Hopefully, someone will have some input.

1. Is there a way for Alex to indicate where page breaks are in documents? 2 In spell check, I could not find the correction choices. What am I doing wrong? 3 I went into the help index to look for info about autotext. I found it in the index, but when I tabbed to display button, I couldn't get to the info. I tried VO plus spacebar and tried enter but they did not seem to work.

All and all, I'm very happy. Getting used to position of cursor in words is proving to be an interesting challenge, but I will eventually figure it out.

Well, again, thanks for your  help.

Mary Anne Lynskey