[macvoiceover] Re: Music notation

  • From: Ian Edwards <ianedwards42@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 2 Jun 2012 00:49:20 -0600

Do you have a way to slow the recording/loop down? I do a lot of playing along
with recordings, and dropping the speed a touch, maybe 25%, without altering
the pitch would be a huge help. I could also envision myself saying the notes
into my iPhone voice recorder and using the unit's playback controls, similar
to your use of your Zoom. What I mostly need are teh notes the first tiem
through in some form of notation, as I'm usually about 90% accurate by ear.
It's the other 10% of the notes that can really mess things up.

Ok, what I'm running into with recording the notes verbally are the notes that
take longer to say than there is time. Like saying B flat takes longer than the
eighth note it's on. What seems to be working is using the numerical equivalent
in the scale, like saying 1 1 3 3 5 5 6 6 6 6 5 5, at the same pace as the
notes are played.

Thanks for the suggestions, and I totally agree with the value of memorizing,
especially the simple hymn melodies I'm working with here. It's not like I'm
trying to play Bach or Mozart on my 4 string bass, just give our congregation a
little melody support while our guitars play the chords.

Cheers,

Ian