[macvoiceover] Re: Mountain lion voiceover speculation

  • From: Ashley <ash.cox@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2012 22:44:24 +0000

good suggestions. I did send an email to apple accessibility with my 5 suggestions for new voiceover features and enhancements - single key navigation was included. I think it would be best if single letter nevigation wasn't part of quick nav, as this would mean you wouldn't have to enable and disable quick nav each time you enter a form field or need to navigate using the keyboard focus.

On 17/02/2012 22:39, Laura wrote:
I absolutely second the bug quashing. I'm fortunate enough not  to have all the
ones you mention, but those I do have are frustrating enough. The busy in
Safari, in particular, is really making Lion less enjoyable to use, despite
many of the other really good features. And I was really disappointed in the
iCloud site.

I'd also love to see Voiceover work more effectively with iWorks, and Pages
especially. It does fine for most individual tasks, but for collaborative work,
I've got to go back to Windows, and I can't see that changing until they get
Voiceover to do a better job with track changes and comments. And on a similar
theme, I'd like a few more customisation options. Something not unlike the
options in JAWS, where it can react differently depending on the text
attributes it encounters. At the moment, having every single text change spoken
is far too much information, but just playing the same sound for all changes
sometimes isn't enough. In fact, I'd welcome more customisation across the
board, like being able to toggle individual VO sounds on and off, rather than
it being an all or nothing deal.

Oh, and if single key navigation could turn off automatically when you enter a
form field, I think that would be a really big improvement. It was a feature I
thought I'd love in Lion, and I don't use it at all. Some of that is that the
rest of VO's functionality makes it much less necessary than it was with JAWS,
but some of it is that I don't want to go back to what's really just the
equivalent of the old JAWS version of forms mode.

On 17 Feb 2012, at 00:11, Ricardo Walker wrote:

Hi,

I honestly hope they spend time working out the Voiceover bugs introduced in
Lion.  Like the random pitch change with the premium voices, the endless busy
in Safari, Voiceover taking a million years to come on at start up, or the
reading of those phantom windows on start up.  As far as features, I would like
to see an OCR feature like found on a couple of windows screen readers.  I
think this will become standard on all major screen readers.  I would also like
to see Apple clean up the iCloud site.  Its terrible from an accessibility
stand point.  I would really like to see them add a remote feature for us to
help other Mac users like tandem in Jaws.  This would be a big help to IT
folks, and those just willing to help others trouble shoot on the Mac.

Ricardo Walker
ricardo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Twitter:@apple2thecore
www.appletothecore.info

On Feb 16, 2012, at 1:02 PM, Ashley wrote:

Hi all,
With the release of mac os 10.8 (mountain lion) nearing, what do you guys think we'll see
in voiceover "4.0", the next version of Vo that will be included in this OS?
ash

with 'subscribe' in the Subject field OR by logging into the Web interface at