[macvoiceover] Re: More Concerns about Readiris pro

  • From: Travis Siegel <windowbridge@xxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2008 10:38:16 -0500

On Jul 21, 2008, at 9:01 AM, Cheryl Homiak wrote:

You say preferences worked fine for you, when you configured it. How did
you configure it? Either using cmd-coma or preferences from the menus
gives me an unusable window with busy signals.
I used command-comma, and all the options work just fine for me, I didn't get busy signals or anything while I was configuring it.
Now, just for reference, on my macbook, read iris works just fine.
On my mac mini, it doesn't behave so well, and often times, I need to resort to the macbook to do any serious work using read iris. I have no idea why this is, they both have the same amount of memory, they're both using the same version of the os, and as far as I know, the preferences are set the same. So, it could just be a case of hardware incompatibilities, though how that's possible I have no idea.

What do you mean by "find document to ocr"? You don't have a document to ocr until there's been a scan, do you? Also what do you mean by scan if necessary? How else would you have anything to read if you don't scan it?

Occasionally, I have documents that come from other sources (such as pdf files that are images instead of actual text), gif images of books posted in a web site I work with sometimes (though generally the images aren't required, only if there's a problem with the text I can't resolve and don't have sighted assistance), or if someone else has scanned a document for me previously. Admittedly, this last has only happened once or twice, but the concept still applies.

Thanks for the tip about linux ocr but for serious book scanning for a
blind person I don't think that has progressed very far. If I don't like
the readiris pro setup I'll ask for a refund and continue to use Abbyy
finereader in Windows which works quite well for me; I was simply hoping to eliminate one of my needs to use windows. Also, Carla doesn't have the
Windows option so even if i decide not to proceed with readiris pro, I
want to try to help her set up something that's going to be consistently
useful.
It was merely a suggestion, I've not fiddled with that particular package, so have no idea how good (or not) it may be, though it looks like it's probably something I should look into.

The scan option on our all-in-one unit allows you to save the generated image to any number of places, including a save to disk option, so you could always just put the document on the scanner, hit the scan button, and have it save it to a file on the hd, then open read iris and proceed as mentioned before. Instead of trying to use read iris for this portion of the process, which may not be accessible. I'll see if I can get my copy of read iris to scan a document directly, but usually we let the scanner do the work, then load it afterwords. (actually, I didn't know read iris could scan directly, until you began posting about it a while ago).

--

Cheryl

"Where your treasure is,
there will your heart be also."