[macvoiceover] Re: Mac vs Windows question

  • From: "Rich Caloggero" <rjc@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2007 14:40:56 -0400

About the only thing the Mac won't  do at all accessibly is music editing. I
mean professional quality midi and audio editing. I know Slow is working on
getting ProTools accessible, but this is a huge job. This kind of software
is complex, and consequently very visually ritch UIs have been built to
access them. Building in access after the fact is difficult.

Windows software is, with only one exception, not accessible in this area
either. The only exception is cakewalk's Sonar, which is accessible with
Window-eyes (the .set files are free I believe, but can't remember where),
and two different Jaws solutions have been developed (one free and the other
one must pay for).  These solutions are good, but are far from perfect.

I'd say VoiceOver could do better in a few key areas, namely web browsing
and spreadsheet.  However, if iTunes accessibility is anything to go by,
Apple seems like they are well underway, and no doubt Lepoard will bring
more exciting changes.

Because I browse the web a lot, and because mail just isn't as quick and
easy as Outlook Express with Jaws (in my humble opinion), I don't use it
daily. I am going to try out the virtual machine approach though, and if I
ever get an extra couple thousand, I'll get an intel mac and run windows on
it when I need to do music stuff.

Just my two cents...
-- Rich