[macvoiceover] Mac Newbie Questions: 1 Mail/was:RE: Re: Introduction

  • From: "Chris Hofstader" <cdh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2008 08:28:10 -0500

Hi and thanks for the welcome,

As I said yesterday, I've been using my Macintosh since July and full time
since mid-October.  I still come across actions and events that I cannot
figure out or things that are so different from the way things work on
Windows (to a large extent with Orca as well) and I grow a bit baffled.  I'm
finally passed my biggest hurdle which was using JAWS keystrokes to try to
make things happen in VoiceOver and in learning how using cursor keys to
navigate text on a Macintosh, the latter was so confounding that I thought
I'd never figure it out.  Now, I've done a near 180 and really enjoy the
system and have been professing its virtues on the blog lately.

I do have questions, lots of them.  I will look at the pointer you sent
yesterday but, for now, I'll post a few that I think should be pretty easy
regarding OSX Mail here and hope you experts can help this newbie along as
some areas seem like they should be obvious but, for some reason, I can't
figure them out.  I spent a couple of hours in Mail this morning poking
around to try to find these answers on my own and failed, I find that some
of my problems moving from Windows/JAWS to Mac/VoiceOver is purely
vocabulary and that I may read something on the Macintosh that would mean
something very different on Windows - maybe we can get Roget to do a
Thesaurus on computational terminology.

Mail:

1.  How does one turn off the thing Outlook on Windows calls the "preview
pane," as when I review new messages in the message table, they get marked
as read and moved to the Trash folder.  I like to move around in the table
to decide what I care to read in what order (if Fruchterman or Vanderheiden
writes, I read immediately; if a friend is looking for lunch, I may wait).
So, how do I keep these messages from being marked as read just because they
appeared in the preview panel for a couple of seconds, how do I turn the
preview panel off altogether and how can I keep read messages in my Inbox so
I can return to them later?

2.  How does one navigate up and down through the Message table quickly?  I
often have hundreds of messages but PAGE-UP and PAGE-DOWN, HOME and END do
not seem to have any effect in tables in general and the Messages table
specifically.

3.  How can one move their Outlook contacts to OSX Mail or Address Book?  I
have well over a thousand contacts and need to somehow automate this
process.  I did not see .PST files as a possibility in the Address Book
import/export menu item.

While unrelated to Mail, I'll toss in a closing question which will help me
prioritize future questions: Does anyone here know anything about MacSpeach?

Happy Hacking,
cdh

Chris Hofstader
email: cdh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx