[macvoiceover] Re: MAC clones? Psystar's Online Store - Open Computing Solutions featuring Mac OS X Leopard, Windows and Linux

  • From: Keith Reedy <wa9dro@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2008 19:58:41 -0400

Hi Jacob,

Well, I just wondered if any one had plaied with one of these, I am not personally in the market for another computer, grin, smile.

Keith Reedy

On Oct 30, 2008, at 6:14 PM, Jacob Schmude wrote:

Hi Keith
What they've done is a standard install of OS X, as if you were to build a hackintosh. There's nothing different about the operating system at all, in fact they use a standard retail installation DVD from Apple. Voiceover, therefore, should be no different at all, though depending on what audio card you get you may or may not be able to install OS X yourself, as the dvd may not have audio drivers for your card at installation time. This can easily be overcome with a USB headset, though. Also note that these are not Mac clones, they are standard X86 PCs that have been carefully built in order to be able to run OS X. However, certain points about their architecture remain different such as the use of BIOS instead of EFI and, due to this, they're using emulation on some of the low level hardware layers--i.e. they have a software EFI layer. In general, if you don't know what this means you probably want a straight Mac, as you will eventually have to deal with this. One consequence of this is that Apple's OS X updates aren't installed unmodified, and in fact Psystar has replaced Apple's software update utility with one of their own designed to only install safe updates. Hense, you don't always get OS updates right away, and there is the distinct possibility than an os update didn't get modified properly and renders your system unbootable until you fix it. These are, in effect, commercial hackintoshes, not Mac clones.

On Oct 30, 2008, at 13:40, Keith Reedy wrote:

Well, there is a big brew-ha-ha about it at this time, but, for now, there are MAC clones and I just wondered how Voiceover works with them. Take a look here.

http://store.psystar.com/