[macvoiceover] Re: Kindle now accessible on IOS with Voiceover.

  • From: Ronald Johnson <ganahee@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 2 May 2013 11:57:34 -0500

        Well, my sense of all this is that the future of computing appears to
be heading toward a nearly 100% mobile world.  The desktop computer, as we know
it, will probably become a thing of the past in the next 5 to 10 years, except
for business, server machines, etc.  I suspect laptops, netbooks, tablet PCs
and smart phones will be the dominant platforms.  For this reason, I think
everyone wants to jump on that bandwagon and make their apps available on those
platforms, and make them accessible.

        I don't know if this is a trend in the Windows PC world, but my sense
is, at least from the Mac side of things, the way things seem to be heading.
Also, I've got a good friend whose commented, on more then one occasion, that
he's noticed that Windows and Linux are both implementing the look and feel of
the smart phone UI, further bolstering my assertions.

        One thing I've been picking up on, which concerns me a bit, is that,
since Steve Jobs is no longer with us, and Tim Cook's at the helm, Apple's pace
of innovation has slowed considerably, and they're no longer the only "cool kid
on the block", as it were.  I hope that's not gonna affect the further
development of VO, both on the Mac platform, or in the iOS world?

Take care,

Ron