[macvoiceover] Re: Kind of OT: Does the Mac have anything like the Windows run dialogue?

  • From: Travis Siegel <windowbridge@xxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 3 Oct 2008 07:42:53 -0500

If you use vo-m on a file you have highlighted in the finder, then go to file, then down to open with (it's the option under open) you can select the program you'd like to open the file. By default, it will then always open with that program until you change it again. You can change all files of that type to open in another application by using the get info (command-I) dialog box. Select the open all files of this type with this application, select the application, then you're all set. I.E. I open all mp3 files in quicktime, because I don't necessarily want all of my mp3 files to be imported into my itunes library. I also open all wav files in quicktime, because our voicemail emails messages to us in wav format, and I have no desire to keep deleting 30 second files from itunes, because it sees fit to add them to it's library just because I wanted to know what the silly car dealership is promoting this week.

So, it's easy to change the application that opens particular files.
There's also an application called rcdefault that will change the default extensions for you, (I.E. open all readme files in textedit) by changing or adding a mapping in the system's database of file extensions and their pairings. I think (though I'm not positive) that it's a Rogue Amoeba application, though I've had it for a couple years, and could remember incorrectly on that point.