[macvoiceover] Just Ordered MyMacbookPro

  • From: Judy Wilkinson <jwilkins@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2009 12:20:27 -0700

I know this list is just for discussing VoiceOver, but I had to tell someone, and I feel after lurking for a couple of weeks, that I've made friends. David originally pointed me to this list. I've done a lot of research and finally made what to me is a major shift.

This morning I ordered my 13-inch MacBook Pro with 4 meg of memory and a 500GB drive. I'm so glad I didn't order just 10 days ago, as this latest iteration has a longer battery life, an SD card slot, has a cheaper base price and who knows what all else.

Given that I'm hardly a cutting edge kind of person and had been a resigned PC user for 25 years (since I gave up my Apple IIE), and I've made the decision to go to a Mac with the new Leopard iteration of VoiceOver, I wonder how many others are lurking in the woodwork.

Is there a way to get Apple to take notice of those of us who may now swell the ranks of visually-impaired Mac users? Why doesn't Apple visit the conventions of the major blind organizations and/or CSUN? I think they used to have a booth at CSUN at least, but I know I didn't see them this year.

My apologies for writing somewhat off topic, especially as a new member of the list. Where does one go to discuss Mac issues in more general terms?
Judy Wilkinson