[macvoiceover] Re: John's hole, mentoring, applacations that work and more.

  • From: David Poehlman <david.poehlman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2006 15:34:27 -0400

David, I use tab too and I have struggled with weather to teach tab or Vo Keys. what I found was that since Vo keys provided more information and especially since the person was a beginner I started dialogs that way. After they would get the hang of that and get all of the pertinant info I would suggest trying the tab key once they understood the dialog. Unfortunatley, tab does not provide as much info in Mac land as in Windows so sometimes it's great and sometimes it's not. I believe the abillity to get consistant information will be the key to intruducing people to the Mac. Yes, it definately is a bit clutzy at furst holding down keys but again, it's a new way of doing things and once you start it turns in to a reflex. It's like developing a habit.

My habit in windows was to use tab and arrows. When I discovered I could use My Mac in much the same way as I use windows, I jumped on it. I also remember thinking at the time that it would have saved me alot of struggle to have learned this way instead of using VO keys for everything. Yes, it is necessary to use the two in conjunction quite a bit and there are some Macs I have had trouble with while trying to use the tab and arrows even though I set them up the same way as I have mine set up, I look at the VO keys though as something of a review senario and tabs and arrows where they work as the more direct mechanisms. I still have not gotten comfortable with using VO keys for things I can use tab and arrows for even though I've worked hard at it.

Click on the link below to go to our homepage. http://www.icanworkthisthing.com

Users can subscribe to this list by sending email to macvoiceover-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx