[macvoiceover] Re: Installing another Mac Os on the same computer?

  • From: Cheryl Homiak <chomiak@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2009 19:19:09 -0500

You don't even need to do bootcamp. If I understand correctly, you aren't putting a different OS, like Windows or linux on; instead, you want another Leopard install on the same hard drive--is this correct? In that case, you can actually resize your current system if it isn't too big. You can do this in disk utility or you can do this with the diskutil resizeVolume command which is what I did when I temporarily had a linux system on my hard drive along with my mac system. I liked using the command in terminal because I could specify exactly how large I wanted to resize my present system to. But whichever method you use, you then could either use a backup program like Superduper to backup your current system to the partition that's available after resizing or you could use your installation cds or dvds but make sure to specify the new partition when you choose your destination. Doing this doesn't destroy your current system though of course you'll have less space for each system than you would have had for one system. It's also possible to ut a Macos system on an external hard drive. This isn't a detailed howto I'm giving you at present, just the general idea of what you could do.