[macvoiceover] Re: Installing Leopard using VO

  • From: "Ron J." <ganahee@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2009 21:57:03 -0600

Hey Marty,

Command-FN isn't a laptop command, but the FN key is something on laptops which allows you to use the function keys, at the top of the keyboard, as regular function keys, instead of their defaults, which perform hardware functions, such as increasing/decreasing screen brightness, raising/lowering the system volume, etc. To activate/ deactivate VO on a laptop, you'd hold down the FN key and command keys together, while pressing F5. This tells the laptop to use the F5 key as a regular F5 key, instead of it's normal default function.

You can reverse this behavior, in system preferences, under keyboard & mouse, which I, and many others, recommend for using a laptop with VO. Set up this way, holding the FN key, while pressing the function keys, will cause them to perform their hardware functions, instead.

        I'm not sure what this would correlate to on a standard keyboard.

HTH?

Ron

On Feb 10, 2009, at 7:40 PM, Marty Rimpau wrote:

Hi, is this command fn a lap top command, and how would this translate
to a regular apple keyboard?
On Tue, 10 Feb 2009 14:07:27 -0500, Ignasi Cambra wrote:

I have installed Leopard using VO with no problems at all. When you
press command+fn+f5 VO starts talking (not with Alex's voice...) and
everything is perfectly accessible.
On Feb 9, 2009, at 9:58 PM, Ron J. wrote:

Travis,

        Sounds like that should help plenty!  Will find out, for sure, on
Wednesday, unless, of course, the laptop manages to get out here to
the boonies, sooner! <grin>

Thanks,

Ron

P.S.

        Have you had any more chance to look into why your News Reader
program doesn't work on my system?  Just thought I'd inquire while I
was here.  Again, thanks!

On Feb 9, 2009, at 8:43 PM, Travis Siegel wrote:

Both methods you describe are perfectly acceptable.
I've used both of these methods to install copies of osx.
I've used only speech, not braille, so hope this helps.

Manage your subscription by using the web interface on the link
below.

Manage your subscription by using the web interface on the link
below.

with 'subscribe' in the Subject field OR by logging into the
Webinterface at //www.freelists.org/list/macvoiceover

Marty

Ron J. | AKA Ganahee

Messenger Services:

        AIM: Ganahee
MSN: Ganahee@xxxxxxxxxxx
Skype: Ganahee
Twitter: Ganahee_SD
Yahoo!: Ganahee

Alternate Contact:

        E-Mail: Ganahee@xxxxxxxxx
        Phone: 605-759-0694

"For millions of years, mankind lived, just like the animals. Then something happened, which unleashed the power of our imagination - we learned to talk."

From the MD "The Division Bell", the track "Keep Talking".