[macvoiceover] Re: IPHone Text editing explained.

  • From: John Hess <johnythehess@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 9 Jul 2009 09:41:56 -0400

David, very good pint and thanks for making it. I was addressing editing as far as I have seen it work but you are quite correct and there really is no way to know how third party apps will handle. Look at open office with that strange problem of each paragraph or line saying edit as if it was another field.

On Jul 9, 2009, at 4:17 AM, David Poehlman wrote:

this is all fine if the fields you are working with cooperate. we need to point here strongly that milage will varry with environment. While this works in notes and sms and in other local situations, there is no certainty that it will work in 3rd party apps or on the web.

On Jul 8, 2009, at 8:21 PM, John Hess wrote:

Good evening all. I HOpe I am not repeating someone but I saw the thread on text editing and thought I would share my version of how this works. I have tested this and get consistent results. Editing text on the Iphone works exactly the way editing text in text edit works. The difference is your not moving from left to right but from top to bottom. Remember, the gesture for moving through characters, words, or whatever the rotor is set at is to flick up and down. Also, remember, the delete key is actually the backspace. So, when in the edit field first make sure the rotor is set to characters. Now when flicking remember if you flick down the curser is positioned after the character. If you flick up the curser is positioned before the character. Example, the word dog is spelled d o g and when flicking down you will here d o g. Let's say you want to delete the letter O. As long as you hear o when flicking down delete will get rid of it since the curser is after the character. If however you are at the end of the word and flick up and hear g o and stop there pressing delete will not delete the o because you are now located before the O. The d will be deleted because the curser is located after the D. It's some what confusing but if you play with this in text edit and learn how the curser works then editing on the IPHone is a breeze.